Ford Model A Pickup Restoration November 2017

Before I started re-assembling the ignition parts, there were a few minor modifications on my list, which I now want to show you.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

First, I wanted to have a fitting tool to tighten the 2 nuts of the ignition coil. I started with this nut which only needs to be modified a little bit.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

With a Dremel and a cutting disc, I have slightly modified it at the bottom. Now I can easily mount the cable lugs with this special nut.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

The next work are my new nickel-plated wheel covers. These have already tarnished and are without protection. I wanted to protect them for the winter and painted them inside with POR15.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Then I polished the nickel surface and treated it with Swissvax polish. On the right cover, the polish is applied and the left one is already polished.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

While browsing the current Snyder's catalog, I have seen a conversion kit that eliminates the cable leading from the ignition cable to the base of the ignition.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

I ordered it and that's how the conversion kit looks like. The cable is replaced by a sliding contact.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

First I cut off the flap which is only used for the the original capacitor. It is not needed in my case, it is just a potential problem for a short circuit and I don't need an insulation.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Everything is ready for assembly, the new lower plate with the sliding surface and the contact on the base plate which can glide on the lower plate.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Here you see it in mounted position.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

I have replaced the faulty breaker with a new one but measured as contact resistance 50 ohms! This is really too much for a simple contact. That's why I sanded the contacts with fine sanding paper and now I measure 2.5 ohms which is fine.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Now comes my own ignition conversion. Every time I had trouble removing the distributor and replacing it. Reason was the armored Pop-Out cable between terminal box and the distributor. This is made of a solid spring and without loosening the nut on the cylinder head, it can only be removed with difficulty. That's why I made the following conversion. Under the Pop-Out cable clamp my new armored cable is separated in 2 parts and the cable inside I have protected against any damage with an additional protection and shrink tubing.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

This short piece is only 2-3 mm under the clamp and can now be easily removed.t

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Now I can put the distributor on top of the cylinder head where with the original cable constantly a tension is working. Inside the terminal box, the cable is free, which means that I can pull it out of the spring for 2 cm.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

In mounted position you will not see that the spring is modified.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

This little key chain was also on my shopping list. You can simply position the engine on the top dead center of the 1st cylinder.

Ford Model A Restoration Project November 2017

Screw in, turn crankshaft and wait until the bolt jumps inwards. It is more precise than with other tools.




      Copyright ©  2001-2017 Markus Maurer - all rights reserved    |  Last modified: 29.12.2017  |  Print Page