Ford Model A Pickup Restoration March 2011

I'm still working on the leather seats. This month I had to use my talent as a tailor - among my ancestors there was a tailor ;-)

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

For this job only lightweight tool is needed like needle, thread and scissors.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

In the lower part of the back seat I had to sew an approximately 15cm wide leather strip. Between the leather and the synthetic one is a new welting inserted. First I wanted to replace the artificial leather by real leather, then I found out why this was not done at the original seat. Artificial leather can be stretched more easily and this is necessary at this part of the seat.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

Overall, I have sewed about 2m by hand.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

This is the view from outside.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

The seams were cracked on various positions.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

Access was not always easy. Just once, I've skewered the middle finger - I know there are thimbles which will protect you, but unfortunately the needle has chosen not the finger I've expected …

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

Looks better than before.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

At the corners it was a little bit difficult with sewing.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

Here is the leather directly sewed with the welting.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

This was the last stitching.

Ford Model A Restoration March 2011

After all the sewing I have made these two parts on my lathe. They are part of my new door handles.




      Copyright ©  2001-2017 Markus Maurer - all rights reserved    |  Last modified: 07.04.2011  |  Print Page